Situated in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, SMMS is committed to “forming transforming leaders for church and nation by providing the spiritual formation, research and academic training required for developing skilled Methodist ministers of integrity, faithfulness and excellence.”
- DEAN OF CHAPEL AND HEAD OF FORMATION
The Seth Mokitimi Methodist Seminary (SMMS) seeks to form transforming leaders for church and nation by providing spiritual formation, academic and practical training required to develop skilled Methodist ministers of integrity, faithfulness and excellence. The Dean of the Chapel will serve as the Head of Chaplaincy and Head of Formation Program and will be a full member of faculty who provides spiritual leadership to the SMMS Village. Reporting directly to the President, he/she will plan, promote, and administer spiritual and formational wellbeing and educational leadership through the Chapel for the Seminary community.
Arising from this need, a vacancy has been declared for the abovementioned position. Applications are now invited; applicants must be in a position to commence work no later than 12 January 2018.
Key Performance Areas and Responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for all services of worship at the Seminary.
• Design, develop and execute the highest quality of Chapel worship programme in creative and ecumenical ways.
• Will be responsible to oversee the Formational Programme of the Seminary.
• Responsible to offer guidance that pursues an integrated approach to spiritual formation process of the Seminary.
• Responsible to develop an innovative approach to Covenant Discipleship Groups.
• Reflect, facilitate and implement the celebration of various sacramental and liturgical aspects.
• Ensure an appropriate understanding and exposure to the life of the church—including the observation of Christian holy days, Christian clerical practices, and other church and national-related matters.
• Offer guidance and take charge in the supervision of the church placements of seminarians
• Perform other duties as assigned by the President of the seminary.
Minimum Qualification and Requirements:
The Seminary offers the degree of Bachelor of Theology, Diploma in Practical Ministry and Certificate in Theology. An appropriate Master’s degree is required. Advanced work towards a PhD will be an added advantaged.
The incumbent should:
(i) Be a Methodist minister able to offer moral, emotional and spiritual leadership.
(ii) Have a proven track record in effective ministry, and should meritoriously embrace and articulate the mission and vision of the SMMS as well as the ethical values as espoused by the Methodist Church of Southern Africa.
(iii) Display excellent interpersonal skills and competencies in working as part of a team.
(iv) Have Wesleyan-compatible theological insights within the African context.
(v) Have an ability to lead and coordinate morning weekly multi-ethnic worship.
(vi) Display ability and desire to work and embrace cross-cultural diversities of Southern Africa and Africa at large.
(vii) Be able to speak at least 4 of the official languages of South Africa
(viii) Possess experience in the processes and guidelines for the training of Methodist Ministers.
(ix) Should have a minimum of 5 years’ experience of ministry.
The remuneration package offered will depend upon the qualification and/or experience of the successful applicant. Applicants are required to submit a covering letter highlighting their experience in, and providing evidence for each of the minimum requirements as listed above, together with certified copies of all relevant qualifications, and a detailed CV including the name, full address, fax numbers and email address of three referees. All interested persons are required to submit their CVs to the following email address: email@example.com
2. COORDINATOR FOR FIELD EDUCATION MINISTRY
Seth Mokitimi Methodist Seminary (SMMS) has a vacancy for the position of Coordinator for Field Education Ministry. This position has arisen in the Formation Department. The incumbent must be available to start on January 2018.
The successful applicant will be required to carry out the following responsibilities:-
- Programme development and policy
• General oversight of Unit programmes: Work-integrated Learning programmes (Field Education; Church Placement), Easter Placement, Covenant Groups, Mentoring.
• Oversight of Work-integrated Learning. Coordinator regarding day-to-day operation, problem-solving, assessment, partner relations etc.
• Development of Vocational Intensive programme and management of VI period (with WIL co-ord.)
• Development and management of formation assessment systems (aided by Chaplain, WIL coordinator and sub-committee).
• Member of Formation subcommittee.
• Fundraising for FEM (Manage GBGM relationship)
• Maintain Unit policy document
• Development and management of January Orientation Programme.
• Help with organizing services in the chapel
• Organize the preaching plan for staff and for students
• Preach and run Christian Education programmes
1. Must be ordained Methodist/ UCCSA ministers
• 2. Masters in Theology
• 3. Advanced PhD studies will be an added advantaged
• 4. Experience in ecumenical work will be an added advantage.
• 5. Fluency in African languages
Salary is negotiable
Those interested in the position should send applications: covering letter, copy of qualifications, references and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short listed applicants will receive acknowledgement
Closing Date for Applications: 25th August 2017